Thing 2: See what the youngsters/new players have
It feels like we have said this numerous times, but the Rockies need to see what young players like Dom Nunez, Sam Hilliard, Josh Fuentes, Yonathan Daza and Garrett Hampson can bring when provided regular playing time.
Not occasional playing time. Regular.
More from Colorado Rockies News
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: 3 things we appreciated from Tuesday in San Francisco
- What Bill Schmidt’s comments mean for the Colorado Rockies in 2023
I understand the concept of competitive play, but rolling out Jake McGee, Wade Davis and Bryan Shaw does little to help the Rockies understand what the next generation of the bullpen can do against some of the best current teams in the National League.
Certainly, keeping the lack of a 100-loss season alive is great and playing spoiler is tremendous, but even more important is seeing what the Rockies actually have in some of these younger players and what they could (or could not) bring to the franchise in the future is more important.
Wins and losses at this stage of the season aren’t as impactful on the 2020 season as looking at young players now in actual game situations. Put in the fresh faces and let’s see how they perform.