Colorado Rockies Saturday Shout-Outs: The Dog Days Of August!
Jul 30, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; Colorado Rockies starting pitcher C. Rusin (52) hits a two-run home run off of St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher C. Martinez (not pictured) in the fourth inning at Busch Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
The Colorado Rockies have miraculously made it to August (doesn’t it still feel like May?)… and, uh… where the f*** did this season go?!
More from Colorado Rockies News
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: 3 things we appreciated from Tuesday in San Francisco
- What Bill Schmidt’s comments mean for the Colorado Rockies in 2023
The Colorado Rockies have already played north of 100 games, and the calendar tells me it’s August. Wasn’t it just, like, last August? No, seriously, where the hell did the time go?
Do seasons always go so fast when you’re writing about them? (I’m sure if you asked the players who are grinding it out every day, the season feels a lot longer to them than it does to my lazy ass on the couch, but that’s neither here nor there.)
Anyways, now that it’s August, and it’s another Saturday, you know what it’s time for… Saturday shout-outs! Weird, notable, good stuff the Rockies are doing, whether it’s in the big leagues, or anywhere around the organization.
Let’s hop to it, kids:
- Chris Rusin deserves a Saturday shout-out for hitting a home run — the first of his career — off Carlos Martinez, but even more so for fighting back in a tough outing and never quite giving in to the Cardinals, whether he was on the mound, or at bat. He’s a tough cookie, man. He may not have the best physical attributes, and he may not be long for the big leagues, but he is a tough cookie.
- On that note, Carlos Martinez also deserves a shout-out because he owned up to his hit-batsmen stupidity on Thursday night and squashed the beef pretty quickly after the game.
- Yohan Flande, because of this — and he’ll start again very, very soon, so… good thoughts!
- Nick Hundley gets a shoutout, also for his performance Thursday night against the Cardinals, which included a double and a home run. He’s had a wonderful season behind and beside the plate for the Rockies, and they really made a great free agent signing when they picked him up this winter.
- Jeff Bridich gets a shoutout for trading Troy Tulowitzki. He actually took the chance, man. He’s making his mark on the team. There are 100 things left to be done, make no mistake about it, but my God he actually did it and traded away Tulo.
- The entire Rockies’ front office, because at least they aren’t the joke of the entire league like the LOLMets.
- Jose Reyes has a thankless job, replacing Tulo at shortstop in a situation where he’ll never be able to really replace the superstar. Reyes may not be here for long (or hell, maybe he will!), but he deserves some credit for coming to Denver with a great attitude and tons of energy at the top of the order.
- Christian Friedrich, for this really nice Q&A session with the Chicago Tribune. Oh by the way, he’s done fairly well on the field too, as a consistent if not trustworthy reliever in certain spots.
The Rockies and Cards face off again tonight. Who’s excited?!