More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
4) Who will be the Rockies Opening Day center fielder?
The center field battle has been between Sam Hilliard and Garrett Hampson and, as of this publication, it looks like the Rockies aren’t going to give the spot to someone everyday. Rather, it will be a platoon situation with Sam Hilliard facing the right-handers and Garrett Hampson facing the left-handers.
For that reason, since Clayton Kershaw, a lefty, will toe the slab for the Dodgers, it will presumably be Hampson. However, things could change in the next week or so. Who knows? The Rockies may decide to ride with the hot hand in Yonathan Daza.
5) Will Ryan McMahon play second or third base on Opening Day?
In the wake of the Brendan Rodgers injury, the Rockies could look to move Ryan McMahon over to second base to start the season. If that happens, the Rockies would then go with Josh Fuentes at third base. If the Rockies decide to keep Ryan McMahon at third base, though, the Rockies could use Garrett Hampson at second base (if he’s not in center field) or use Chris Owings at second base?
Even further, with Kershaw on the mound, could the Rockies decide to keep McMahon out of the lineup on Opening Day in favor of Josh Fuentes and Chris Owings (both right-handed hitters) at third and second base?
There are going to be plenty of decisions and, perhaps, a few surprises on the 26-man Opening Day roster but, especially in the month of April, the Rockies will do plenty of toying around with the roster that will, once and for all, prove whether or not the Rockies have been a fluke in the past couple of years or whether they are as they have played.