The Rockies could go one of a few ways on their cuts.
More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
Who will be cut?
Of the options, I would personally cut Elias Diaz and Joe Harvey since the Rockies really don’t need a third catcher on the active roster, and since Harvey was just added to the roster anyways.
For Diaz, he could still be kept on the taxi squad, and in the event they need another catcher, he or Dom Nunez could be added to the roster quickly.
However, I think that Fuentes is more likely to be cut by the Rockies than Diaz. Even with the 25-man rosters of last season, there were a few series where Bud Black had 13 pitchers and 12 position players. Therefore, he had a four-man bench (as this was prior to the DH) and he still had two catchers on that bench.
For the pitchers, Harvey is most likely to be cut since he was just added and he wasn’t on the 30-man roster to begin with.
With the cuts, though, they will still be available on the taxi squad or in the player pool so they still could see action for the Rockies later this year.