More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
21. German Marquez (Rockies Career WAR 11.3)
German and Jon Gray are the prototypes of what this regime wants in it’s starting pitchers.
Hard-throwing strikeout artists with a nasty secondary pitch with ridiculous movement. The idea is if the batter can’t make contact, it negates the effects of Coors Field. This, in my opinion, stemmed from the successes of another starter of this type higher on this list.
Like Jon Gray he is in the top-6 of every major career pitching stat except wins where he ranks 9 with 38 in a year less of experience. His career year came in 2018 when he won 14 games, struck out a Rockies-record 230 batters with a 3.77 ERA in 196 IP for an ERA+ of 125 and WAR of 4.4. German has Cy Young ability and raw stuff.
Look for a bounce-back in 2020 after an average 2019 on a really bad team.
I will be back soon with the next installment in the list. Let me know your thoughts so far in the comments section below or on social media.