More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
Ian Desmond is somebody that Rockies fans loathe and for one good reason: he’s not good and, since he’s getting paid a ton, he’s still being played.
However, in the proposal that Mark DeRosa put forward on MLB Central on Thursday (and a proposal that was backed up by Ken Rosenthal and former MLB general manager John Hart right then by them saying it was a “good idea”), Desmond would be in that deal…and the Rangers would pay for the rest of his contract.
The more I think about it, the more a deal makes sense to me. Here’s the reason’s why:
- The Rockies get a first baseman who gives them a lot of power, which they desperately need
- A first baseman is young (Gallo turns 24 in November)
- A first baseman is under team control until 2023
- The Rockies get rid of Ian Desmond
- They get rid of Ian Desmond’s contract
- The Rangers farm system is pretty depleted, especially for a team that is rebuilding
- While not one of the top few in baseball, the Rockies have a better farm system than the Rangers, so they could give them a few prospects.
- Ian Desmond played very well in a Rangers uniform, as he was an All-Star and had a .285/.335/.446 slash line with them in 2016.
- The two teams have recent history of a trade (the Jonathan Lucroy trade last July) so each side knows the other (personally and their prospects) well.
The prospects are something that would be flexible depending on whether or not the Rangers would pay all of Desmond’s salary. If Desmond is included in general, the price that the Rockies have to pay goes up and, obviously, the more that the Rangers pay of Desmond’s salary, the Rockies would have to pay even more/give them better and/or more prospects.
It seems to me that this idea for a trade is one that could help out both sides significantly.