6 of 6
More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
Free Agent Predictions
Here’s what I think the Rockies should do:
- Sign Logan Morrison as their first baseman. There is a lot more questions at first than the other positions. Have Desmond and Morrison battle it out for the starting job. Or have Morrison start at first while giving Desmond a chance to prove himself in the outfield.
- Since the signing of Morrison will give them even more options in the outfield. Therefore, they shouldn’t need to sign an outfielder. Rockies manager Bud Black will be able to use Gerardo Parra, David Dahl, Raimel Tapia, and Ian Desmond to mix and match at right field and left field. For Dahl, this is depending on whether or not he is healthy (especially at the start of the season).
- Since they haven’t spent that much on free agents (Morrison shouldn’t be too costly), they can spend the big bucks on either a starting pitcher or a closer. I think they should sign Holland for a decent amount of money. Then use the remaining money to try to get Cashner (Arrieta would never come to Colorado).
Once it’s all said and done. The Rockies will have a first baseman in Morrison, bring back Holland as their closer, and pick up a talented, veteran starting pitcher in Cashner.