There are few Redbirds who have been as hot at the plate in recent weeks as Gyorko. Coming into Thursday’s series finale in Los Angeles, the 28-year-old third baseman was hitting .331 on the season with seven homers and 18 RBI. That number is spiked by a May that has seen him produce at least one hit in all but three games this month.
More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
Just how good has Gyorko been this season? Check out this article from our sister site, Redbird Rants, where the comparisons are made between Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees and Gyorko. It’s a pretty interesting read.
Another thing to know about Gyorko is that he is thriving when the Cardinals hit the road. In 16 road games this season (before Thursday night), he was hitting .390 away from Busch Stadium. He’s also hitting .375 in night games versus just .225 in matinees. With the Cardinals and Rockies scheduled to play in Denver on Friday and Saturday night, that might be setting up as a very nice combination for Gyorko.
Hitting .357 with runners in scoring position, this is one St. Louis batter you don’t want to see at the plate in what could be a momentum-swinging at-bat.