Walt Weiss has tabbed Jorge De La Rosa as the Colorado Rockies Opening Day starting pitcher. De La Rosa will face off against the Arizona Diamondbacks newly acquired ace Zack Greinke. The two pitchers will start their season at Chase Stadium in Phoenix on April 4th at 7:40pm MDT.
Zack Greinke, the former AL Cy Young award winner, is coming off a fantastic year with the Los Angeles Dodgers where he posted a minuscule 1.66 ERA. Zack placed second last year in the NL Cy Young vote, losing out to Chicago’s Jake Arrieta.
During the off-season, the right-handed pitcher signed a 6 year/$206.5M contract with the NL West rival Arizona Diamondbacks. This move significantly bolstered a strong team trying to compete with the other pitching powerhouse teams in the division.
More from Rox Pile
- A Colorado Rockies Thanksgiving
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
Jorge De La Rosa has been the workhorse of the Rockies pitching staff during his tenure in Colorado. He holds the franchise records for most strikeouts, most wins with 73, and the highest winning percentage at Coors Field (.763). Jorge De La Rosa has proven time after time that he can pitch at Coors Field earning him the honor of being named the Rockies Opening Day pitcher.