According to Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post, the Colorado Rockies have submitted the paperwork to the Commissioner’s office to host an All-Star Game within the next five years.
It’s been over 20 years since the Colorado Rockies have hosted an All-Star Game but that may soon change. Yesterday, Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post reported in this article that the Monforts (the owners of the Rockies) have submitted paper work to Major League Baseball to host an All-Star Game in the near future.
As it is currently slated, the Dodgers will host the All-Star Game next season and in 2021, the Atlanta Braves will host the game at their new stadium, SunTrust Park.
In the past, MLB has tried to rotate every other year between an American League and a National League stadium but they dissolved this in 2015. As you can see with the future, the NL has two lined up back-to-back. Cleveland hosted the game this year and the last time an American League stadium hosted the game prior to this year was 2014 in Minnesota.
Philadelphia is slated to host the 2026 All Star Game but 2022 through 2025 is currently undetermined.
More from Rox Pile
- Colorado Rockies: What if Todd Helton had played football instead?
- Colorado Rockies: Charlie Blackmon out for the season
- Colorado Rockies: Injuries shift look of roster ahead of Dodgers series
- Colorado Rockies: Has Sean Bouchard earned a second look in 2023?
- Colorado Rockies: 3 things we appreciated from Tuesday in San Francisco
There are a few teams that have never had an All Star Game or have had a longer time since an All Star Game than the Rockies but some of them are not the best facilities anymore.
- Tampa (never hosted)
- L.A Dodgers (last hosted in 1980 but hosting in 2020)
- Oakland (last hosted in 1987)
- Chicago Cubs (1990)
- Toronto Blue Jays (1991)
- Baltimore Orioles (1993)
- Texas Rangers (1995, and they are getting a new stadium in 2020)
- Philadelphia (1996, but hosting in 2026)
However, the Indians hosted the game the year before the Rockies (1997) and hosted this season so the Rockies could very well host another game in that 2022 to 2025 span that is still vacant.
Since the Rockies hosted in 1998, only two All Star Games have had more attendance (2000 with the Braves by less than 60 people and 2008, the last year of old Yankee Stadium, which had about 4,000 more in attendance than at Coors) so, obviously, it would be a huge get for the Rockies if they are able to secure the game in the near future.