Colorado Rockies starting pitcher Antonio Senzatela left Monday night’s start against the San Francisco Giants before the start of the third inning with what was called “a lower back strain.”
Here is the latest we know on the lower back strain suffered by Colorado Rockies starting pitcher Antonio Senzatela in his start against the San Francisco Giants
Senzatela was warming up for the third inning when he stopped and appeared to reach for his lower back. After consulting with members of the training staff and Colorado Rockies manager Bud Black, Senzatela left the game. He was replaced by Ty Blach, making his second appearance of the season against the Giants, the club he pitched for four years before signing a free agent deal with the Rockies before the start of this season.
Before his departure, Senzatela had thrown 33 pitches (20 for strikes) in the first two innings. He had registered three strikeouts, tying his season high from his April 23 outing in Detroit, and walked one while allowing one hit.
Senzatela has been solid in his last 15 starts at Coors Field, registering a 3.09 ERA over 84.1 innings. He has not lost at Coors Field since an outing against the San Diego Padres on May 11, 2021.
The 27-year-old right-hander was on the injured list twice last season, dealing with a groin strain in May and battling COVID-19 in July. He worked around those stints to post a 4-10 record and 4.42 ERA in 28 starts covering 156.2 innings, the most he has thrown in a season since making his MLB debut with the Rockies on April 6, 2017.
This offseason, Senzatela was signed to a five-year deal worth a guaranteed $50.5 million and an additional 2027 option valued at $14 million.
We will update this article below with the latest on Senzatela’s condition following the conclusion of the Giants-Rockies game.
UPDATE: Black said after the game, “More than likely, he (Senzatela) will be heading toward the injured list.”
Both Black and Senzatela said that the comebacker hit by San Francisco’s Joc Pederson for the first out of the game is what triggered the back tightness. However, Senzatela said that he had been dealing with his back for the last “three or four days” and also felt it in the bullpen before Monday’s start.
Senzatela pumped the brakes on the talk about him heading to the injured list.
“They haven’t told me anything yet,” he said. “Let’s see how I feel tomorrow.”
MORE UPDATES: Senzatela was placed on the 15-day injured list on Tuesday with a lower back strain.