There were some other good MLB players in the 2009 MLB Draft that the Colorado Rockies and other teams missed out on
In the rest of the 2009 MLB Draft, the Colorado Rockies drafted a few players that later made it to the majors for them.
They include fourth round pick Ben Paulsen (0.4 rWAR), eighth round pick Rob Scahill (0.8 rWAR), 19th round pick Dustin Garneau (1.5 rWAR), and 29th round pick Corey Dickerson (13.7 rWAR). For Dickerson, though, he didn’t sign in this draft but the Rockies drafted him in the next draft in the eighth round.
From the third round on, here are some of the best players to sign in this draft.
- 2B Kyle Seager, 3rd round, 82nd overall pick, Mariners (eventually moved to 3B, 1x All-Star, 1x Gold Glove, 36.9 rWAR)
- C Wil Myers, 3rd round, 91st overall pick, Royals (eventually became a 1B/OF, 1x All-Star, 2013 AL Rookie of the Year, 12.4 rWAR)
- 1B Brandon Belt, 5th round, 147st overall pick, Giants (1x All-Star, 27.2 rWAR)
- LHP Dallas Keuchel, 7th round, 221st overall pick, Astros (2x All-Star, 5x Gold Glove winner, 2015 AL Cy Young, one additional top 5 AL Cy Young finish)
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt, 8th round, 246th overall pick, D-Backs (6x All-Star, 4x Gold Glove, 4x Silver Slugger, five top 10 NL MVP finishes, 50.7 rWAR)
- OF J.D. Martinez, 20th round, 611th overall, Astros (4x All-Star, 3x Silver Slugger, three top 20 MVP finishes
Next up in our draft series is the 2010 Draft, when the Rockies struck out on both of their first round draft picks.