Colorado Rockies: 3 bold predictions for the trade deadline
The Colorado Rockies could be one of the biggest sellers in Major League Baseball in the coming weeks as they have five impending free agents that they could look to trade, including two of the best players in the upcoming free agency class in Trevor Story and Jon Gray
We have three bold predictions regarding the Colorado Rockies at the trade deadline.
The Colorado Rockies will not trade Jon Gray
Between Trevor Story and Jon Gray, Story is most likely to be traded but also, Gray is most likely to be extended by the Rockies.
It is a decision that the Rockies have weighed out and will continue to weigh out for the next few weeks but Gray expressed his desire to stay with the Rockies when he spoke with us last month.
Obviously, that’s not going to be the only factor but a fair contract offer will be the key. For the Rockies to offer that in the next few weeks or months, one of the things that they will definitely look at is his home/road splits.
Overall in his career, Gray has pitched better at Coors Field, and with the exception of the pandemic shortened (and, for Gray, injured shortened) season of 2020, that has been showcased more in recent years.
- Career numbers at home: 31-15, 4.47 ERA
- Career numbers on the road: 19-28, 4.58 ERA
- 2017 home: 5-1, 3.13 ERA in eight starts
- 2017 road: 5-3, 4.06 ERA in 12 starts
- 2018 home: 7-4, 4.91 ERA in 16 starts
- 2018 road: 5-5, 5..34 ERA in 15 starts
- 2019 home: 6-2, 3.46 ERA in 13 games (12 starts)
- 2019 road: 5-6, 4.22 ERA in 13 starts
- 2021 home: 5-2, 3.22 ERA in nine starts
- 2021 road: 0-4, 5.16 ERA in six starts
That track record right there says that the Rockies, at bare minimum, should talk with Gray’s agent to see if an extension could be in the cards and if so, the Rockies may take the gamble and not trade him at the trade deadline