The top five reasons you can’t blame the Colorado Rockies for signing so many reclamation projects
4 of 6
3) The Rockies are familiar with most of the players that they signed
Of the players they have recently signed, nearly all of them are former Rockies or have ties to Rockies personnel.
- Greg Holland: His bullpen coach in Kansas City was Steve Foster, the Rockies pitching coach
- C.J. Cron: He was in the Angels organization when Rockies manager Bud Black was in their front office in 2016
- Jorge De La Rosa: Former Rockie
- Chris Rusin: Former Rockie
- Chris Iannetta: Former Rockie
- Jhoulys Chacin: Former Rockie
- Zac Rosscup: Former Rockie
- Matt Holliday: Former Rockie
- Ubaldo Jimenez: Former Rockie
And even some of the reclamation projects from yesteryear, like Vinny Castilla and Steve Reed in 2004, were (you guessed it) former Rockies.
So since they were already familiar with the organization and vice versa, there was less of a learning curve with getting to know how things are/were run and they may even know some of the players that are on the team because they may have been in spring training when the players were around in their first stint.