Colorado Rockies: The top five reasons why they should sign Trevor Bauer
Their starting pitching staff would be one of the best in the National League
The Colorado Rockies already have one of the better starting pitching staffs in the National League. With the addition of the 2020 Cy Young Award winner, the Rockies starting rotation would become even more of a strength.
Even the Padres, who recently acquired Blake Snell and Yu Darvish via trades in the past week, would arguably, have less of a rotation than the Rockies, partially because Mike Clevinger, who they acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline last July, will be out for 2021 since he is having Tommy John surgery.
By ERA+ in their best season, here’s what the Rockies rotation would likely be by ERA+ in 2020 followed by their best ERA+ in a regular season.
- Bauer: 276 (his next best was in 2018 at 196)
- German Marquez: 140 (in a full season, his best was in 2018 at 125)
- Kyle Freeland: 122 (166 in 2018 )
- Jon Gray: 79 (His best was 138 in 2017 but 2019 was close behind at 134)
- Antonio Senzatela: 153 (His best in a full season is a tie between 2017 and 2018 at 108).
Just imagine if the Rockies had a rotation with those five pitching at their best. Based on what each of them have shown as their peaks and provided that they are healthy, that rotation could go toe-to-toe with any rotation in the NL and frankly, any in baseball.