Ivan Nova, Pittsburgh Pirates
Our friends at Call to the Pen (CTTP) made the suggestion that Ivan Nova could be a good fit for Colorado’s rotation as well. We actually discussed Nova joining the Rockies before the season began in this article.
More from Colorado Rockies Rumors
- Colorado Rockies: Could recent injuries change their offseason philosophy?
- 3 free agents the Colorado Rockies should already be targeting
- The Colorado Rockies should take a flier on outfielder Franmil Reyes
- MLB trade rumors: Rockies could deal Chad Kuhl, Carlos Estévez on Trade Deadline Day
- 7 trade destinations for Colorado Rockies closer Daniel Bard
However, it will be interesting to see what Pittsburgh does at the trade deadline. As of Saturday night, at 37-43, the Pirates were just five games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the race for the National League Central crown. True, the Pirates would have to leapfrog not only the Brewers but also the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals to win the division. However, being that close to the division lead and knowing no team has put a firm grip on the division is a tantalizing thought.
As CTTP said in its article, one of the most interesting stats about Nova is his proficiency to induce ground balls. Heading into Saturday, he ranked third in the Majors with 142 groundouts, just ahead of Colorado’s Kyle Freeland and his 138 groundouts.
Nova has struck out 60 in 108 innings while walking just 13. He’s also crafted a 3.08 ERA. The Rockies have been linked to Nova for a few months now. Perhaps it will finally happen by the end of the month. His price tag would certainly be cheaper than Verlander’s, meaning less the Rockies would have to surrender in terms of prospects. That’s always a thought to keep in mind.