Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports
The Colorado Rockies boast versatility and depth on their roster this year. How consistent some of those players will be is unknown. Whether or not some of those players will show their significant upside is unknown. But the point is, the Rockies have a lot of options.
As such, there is a lot of fluidity when it comes to what the starting lineup will look like. When trying to figure it out, we can dream and we can get creative.
As far as the lineup Walt Weiss will actually dispatch on Opening Day (and beyond), we are starting to get clues about what that will look like. Weiss has hinted at intentions to try Michael Cuddyer in the #2 hole in the lineup. Corey Dickerson is impressing his teammates and coaches in the outfield competition.
With those developments in mind, this is a genuine, sincere guess at what the lineup will be this season:
Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
This assumes a handful of things:
- Dickerson indeed beats out Charlie Blackmon and Drew Stubbs for the left field spot, giving up some playing time to Stubbs against left-handed pitching. But if Dickerson wins the job, I do not see that happening in a true platoon, with Dickerson playing against LHP too and with Cuddyer shifting to first base enough to free up time for the other guys.
- The team stops wavering and plays CarGo in center field
- Weiss follows through and bats Cuddyer second.
- Morneau bats 5th to break up the right-handed bats even though Rosario will surely be more productive this season
- LeMahieu, with less upside than his colleague Josh Rutledge, still wins the second base job by virtue of his strong defense and the fact that Weiss loves his game.
As of this date, that is what I believe the lineup will look like. This is all subject to change, of course, as the Rockies have their full slate of spring games in front of them. But pending the emergence of Stubbs, Blackmon, or Rutledge, this probably gives us a pretty good idea of the batting order.
So what do you think, Rockies fans? Happy, sad, indifferent? Do you see the lineup panning out differently? Hit the comments and let us know what you think.